LafargeHolcim Group started its operations in Jordan in cement in 1998 when the Government of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan sold 36% of its shares in Jordan Cement Factories Company. In 2008, Lafarge entered into the Ready Mixed Concrete market by acquiring 51% of Aloul Group, one of the biggest concrete companies in Jordan at the time. Lafarge Jordan currently ranks first place in the cement industry and third place in concrete
Lafarge Cement Jordan
Jordan Cement Factories is the leading cement company in Jordan and one of Jordan's largest and oldest industrial companies. It was established in 1951 as a shareholding company with a capital of JD 1 million. In 1985, Jordan Cement Factories acquired the Southern Cement Company and raised its capital to JD 60 million.
In 1998, the Jordanian Government sold 33% of its shares to the France-based LafargeHolcim Group - a worldwide leader in the cement industry and currently Jordan Cement Factories' strategic partner. Today, LafargeHolcim Group owns 50.2% of the company's shares.
The company owns two cement plants, one in Fuheis and another in Rashadiyah, and has an export terminal in Aqaba that was established in 1992.
Lafarge Jordan Cement currently produces 4 million tons annually.
Lafarge Concrete Jordan
We are the most geographically spread concrete supplier in Jordan. Present in 8 different sites to better serve our customers in North, South, East, West and Central Jordan.
Our annual production capacity is 1.9 million m³ with 12 production lines in 9 plants, equipped with state-of-the-art automated batching systems, assisted by a highly trained quality control team to ensure high end quality products.
Our wide range of products, innovative solutions and specialized technical teams are there to meet our customers' needs, rendering us your distinguished partner to success.
Lafarge Jordan Cement History
1951 - 1954 (Establishment of Jordan Cement Factories)
Jordan Cement Factories was established in 1951 in Fuheis with a plant and a head office. The Fuheis site was chosen due to its proximity to water sources and the abundance of geological formations suitable for cement manufacturing. The first cement production line began operating in 1954 with a daily capacity of 200 tonnes of clinker.
1960 - 1979 (Plant Expansion)
Due to the increased demand for cement, four production lines were added, raising the total of daily production capacity to 3,300 tonnes of clinker.
1981 - 1983 (South Cement)
- The South Cement plant was established in Rashadiyah to produce and export cement. Production started in 1984 using two production lines with a daily rated capacity of 3,200 tonnes of clinker per line.
- In 1982, a new production line was added for the Fuheis plant with a daily capacity of 3,000 tonnes of clinker.
- In 1983, the first, second and third production lines were stopped while the other lines remained in operation.
1985 (Jordan Cement Factories' Merger)
Fuheis plant and Rashadiyah plant merged to form Jordan Cement Factories Company. Consequently, the annual production capacity increased to 4.4 million tonnes.
1992 (Aqaba Export Station)
The Aqaba export station was established with a storage capacity of 32,000 tonnes of bulk cement.
1997 (ISO Certification)
The company became ISO 9002:1994 certified, and in 1998, the Fuheis plant was ISO 14001 certified.
Lafarge Group bought 33% of Jordan Cement Factories' shares as part of its privatization process, whereby Jordan Cement Factories was renamed Lafarge Jordan Cement and became the first state-owned company to be privatized.
The concession agreement that was granted to the company at its establishment by the Jordanian Government expired in December 2001. As a protection measure, the Government imposed high customs on cement imports for five years starting from the date of the agreement's expiration.
Lafarge Jordan Concrete History
1979: Jordan Concrete Supply Co. was established in Amman-Jordan with one site in Sweileh. A second site was established in Dleil in 1994.
King Abdullah Gardens, the Army Central Command Headquarters and the Central Bank of Jordan are few of the big projects casted by our company.
1983: Arab Concrete Supply Co. was established in Amman-Jordan with one site in Abu Alanda to expand later on to Shafa Badran and many other plants to be erected in job sites like Al-Karama Dam, Naval Base in Aqaba and Prince Hamzah hospital.
1992: Aqaba Concrete Co. was established in Aqaba with one site in Wadi Al-Yetem.
1998: Irbid Concrete Supply Co. was established in Irbid with one site between Irbid and Ramtha.
2008: Lafarge acquired 51% of the four previous companies (Aloul Group) that were merged in 2009 under the name of Lafarge Concrete Jordan.